Sunday, August 28, 2011

Two new business opps-- Bus Driving and Mrs. V's Vintage

Go ahead and ignore the former.  I don't really plan on making a business of it.  But this was a very exciting weekend! 

So over the summer, I purchased some antiques and some vintage accessories and clothes.  (of course I did.  My mom visited.  What else would we do besides make homemade ice cream in a 1950's ice cream maker?)  I also shopped a bit in my grandmother's closet.  There are some awesome 1970's finds in there!  So with the profit that  I made off of selling a Charles Eames sofa circa 1950's/60's  (blog on that to come).... Otto opened a bank account up for me and I planned to start a little online business.  I wasn't sure if I'd sell on ebay or etsy or what, but I had my new account since late July.  Finally, yesterday I did some research and decided to open an etsy.com shop for my stuff. 

I had an etsy account previously just for purchasing.  (Have I blogged about my vintage letter "V" from etsy.com? Don't think so.. more to come on that)  Well, my account name was lame-- mverhulst716. I didn't know that that name couldn't be edited.  In fact I didn't care because I had not planned on being a seller.  But just as soon as I decided to be a seller, I find out that you need to have a catchy shop name and mverhulst716 was not going to cut it and it couldn't be changed.  So, I simply opened a new shop.  I didn't give the name much thought.  I was anxious to list my items quickly, thus Mrs. V's Vintage it was!  Afterall, how can you beat a little alliteration?  Last night I got a whole 5 items (all handbags so far) listed on etsy.  Crossing fingers for some sales.  PLEASE visit and "LIKE" it on Facebook!!! http://www.etsy.com/shop/MrsVsVintage?ref=pr_shop_more

As for the bus driving.  Well, I drove the bus this morning at 7am.  It was my second time driving, but my first time driving on an actual road... not to mentioin an INTERSTATE!  It was quite scary. I felt very... WIDE on the road.  And that puppy would NOT get up and go! I asked my trainer.. "Are you positive this thing goes over 15 mph?".  She said yes and by 9am, I had driven 50mph!  Overall, I felt pretty comfortable and confident.  I successfully parallel parked a 36' vehicle, and also successfully, well... ran a red light immediately after doing a great job at a railroad crossing.   I have a few more days of practice driving and will be taking my CDL driving test in Sept.  Pray for me!  All I know is that if Otto mentions me hauling 18-wheeler loads as a summer job $$$ one more time, I might... well...throw him under the bus!

3 comments:

  1. Your Mom has given you the recipe for success!....ambition, antiques and collectibles...yard sales, estate sales, etc...continue to do what is fun and makes you happy......Love Ya and Mrs. Vs Vintage!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, I'm impressed by the parallel parking and I'm going to check out your etsy store. I just sold 3 pieces of jewelry on ebay. Two of them didn't go for much, but the third did. I didn't pay for any of them, so I guess that's all profit. Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Who doesn't love alliteration. That's totally how I choose my favorite horse for the derby each year. As for the bus driving - supremely impressed!

    ReplyDelete