Wednesday, June 15, 2011

New Guest Bedroom, New Office-- Part 1

I LOVE SUMMER! There's all this time to do cool things.  Things that need to be done. Things that don't NEED to be done.   So, I've purchased some new artwork, want to do some painting of the walls in our house, created some artwork myself, and decided that our old "office" was totally NOT functional, the furniture was not-so-good for an office and I want an office that WORKS and is organized.  There will be a looooonnnnggg blog post to detail this office process, the furniture hunt, furniture purchases, the amazing JACKPOT I found while in the process,  the new artwork (which is going to take custom expensive framing), etc.  when the office is more complete.   You'll see where my one-track mind and obsessive tendencies come in...But for the short-term-- here's the new guest bedroom post...

Basically, we decided to switch the office and guest bedroom.  Now, when we have children, I have no idea what we'll do... we will have to give up either the office or guest bedroom and at this point-- after the blood, sweat and tears that this office is causing us (actually, I lie-- it's fun stress), I think we'll give up the guest bedroom!  So visitors, my future blogpost will include my list of preferred FW hotels, motels, Holiday Inns! Hahah.
Back to the point--- we switched the office and guest room.  The former guest room (now office) was like a cave-- long, skinny, and with only 1 window.  Not really inviting.   The former office (now guest room) is HAPPY! Except it wasn't happy as the office because (see paragraph 1) the furniture sucked, it wasn't organized or functional, there was no storage and we hated going in there.   But it was happy because it's brighter, with three windows!  Honestly, when we first moved in, I just chose the cave room for the guest bedroom, because I thought the shape was better for the furniture.  I didn't think the bedroom furniture would fit in the "happy" room-- so it became the office.  But as we started shaping this plan of a functional office, Otto kept saying that the bedroom furniture would fit fine, and it did--- beautifully.  So, without further ado--- see picture of new, happy, guest room below.  I think we did great teamwork on Phase 1-- the bedroom.  Now, together, we'll continue to tackle the office. 

The theme is sort of BLACK AND WHITE, now, the Agave picture which I painted, isn't actually going to stay in this room, but for photographs' sake I had to put it there.  A new piece of art, which is not actually black and white and will be the only one in the room that's not, will be going there. Here's a link to the awesome bicycle painting that will go in that spot once I get it framed.



So obviously, you see the Ansel Adams below.


Photography art credit for photos above the bed--- Christopher John McGee.  He took these on his Peruvian travels in 2008. 

Behind the door is a mirror so that guests can admire themselves. It's brown, so it didn't get prime real estate on the wall.

The last pieces of art are on the wall across from the two windows -- you can't see them in any pictures.  And actually, I lied there is another that is not b&w.  It's this weird TCU cartoon from ??? I don't know when.  I don't even remember where I purchased it, but I gave it to Otto as a gift.  It's vintage.  The Horned Frog mascot is clearly OLD and it's about to eat all the other conference mascots in the bowl which reads "Frog Food".  Totally vintage, totally cool.  The other is just another Ansel Adams.  Not too special.

3 comments:

  1. yeahhhh. my photos got prime real estate!! i cant wait to stay in the new bedroom. where do i book my reservation?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks great. I am making a reservation. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't wait for Part 2!

    On a totally unrelated note, please read this blog:
    http://www.joythebaker.com/

    And then make these...
    http://www.joythebaker.com/blog/2011/06/homemade-churros-with-warm-dark-chocolate-sauce/#more-5331

    and tell us all about it on Home Ec-scape! =)

    ReplyDelete